Parks Half Marathon Introduces the “Parks Relay”. This is a two-person team. The registration fee is $ 100.00 per team. There is no discounted pricing for the relay. This highly sought-after event will sell through quickly. We are limiting the field for the relay to 300 teams. Once the capacity is reached, relay registration will be closed.
Each relay runner will receive a race shirt, finishers premium and a special finishers medal for relay participants. While we are still finalizing plans for this new event here are some preliminary details:
- There will be one race bib that is exchanged at the transition point.
- Teams can be mixed gender and of age combination. There will not be any age group or finisher awards for relay team participants.
- The first leg is 6 miles and will end at the intersection of Baltimore Rd and the trail.
The second leg is 7.1 miles…..go figure!
- The second leg runners will be transported to the exchange point by buses leaving the start area promptly at 6:45 am. The buses will be located on the east end Sommerville Drive closest to the Porta Potties.
- The runners will be responsible for getting to and on the busses on time. Since several of the roads will be closed leading to the exchange point it is necessary for you to be prompt. If you chose to be dropped off near the exchange area you will walk in past the road closures. There will be no motorized traffic permitted to the exchange area with the exception of the busses.
- After the exchange, the first runners will be transported to the corner of Franklin ST and Beech Drive…100 yards from the finish so they can run in together.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT STRICT TIME CRITERIA FOR THIS EVENT WILL BE IN PLACE AS BUSSES WILL NEED TO DEPART PROMPTLY FROM THE EXCHANGE POINT.
- The first leg runner will need to maintain a pace of at least 12:36 per mile. The final bus will leave for Franklin Street, near the finish, 1 hour and 24 minutes after the last person crosses the starting mats. This should allow for all runners to be able to finish together.
- There will be no transportation back to the start area from the exchange point.
- All finishers may Metro back to the start or arrange for their own transportation back.
- Grosvenor Metro is 500 yards up the Rockville Pike.