Parks Half Marathon Introduces the “Parks Relay”. This is a two-person team. The registration fee is $ 100.00 per team. There is no discounted pricing for the relay. This highly sought-after event will sell through quickly. We are limiting the field for the relay to 100 teams. Once the capacity is reached, relay registration will be closed.
Each relay runner will receive a race shirt, finishers premium and a special finishers medal for relay participants. While we are still finalizing plans for this new event here are some preliminary details:
- The relay teams will have a bib numbered in the 3000’s. Each runner on a team will have a bib with consecutive numbers (i.e., 3000 and 3001 are a team, 3002 and 3003 are a team and so on).
- The first leg is approximately 6.5 miles and will end at the intersection of Baltimore Rd and the trail.
- The second leg is approximately 6.6 miles.
- The second leg runners will be transported to the exchange point by buses leaving the start area promptly at 6:15 am. The buses will be located on Redland Road across from the entrance to the 7-11 and in front of the Pet Dominion.
- The runners will be responsible for getting to and on the buses on time. Since several of the roads will be closed leading to the exchange point it is necessary for you to be prompt. There will be no motorized traffic permitted to the exchange area with the exception of the buses.
- There is a porty potty and a water stop located at the exchange area.
- After the exchange the first leg runners will be transported to the corner of Franklin St. and Beach Drive (100 yards from the finish) so that both runners can run in together. There will be volunteers handing out special medals for the relay runners at the finish line.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT STRICT TIME CRITERIA FOR THIS EVENT WILL BE IN PLACE AS BUSES WILL NEED TO DEPART PROMPTLY FROM THE EXCHANGE POINT.
- The first leg runner will need to maintain a STRICT pace no less than 12:36 per mile. GIVEN THE TIME CRITERIA, IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT TEAMS CONSIDER HAVING THEIR FASTER RUNNER COMPLETE THE FIRST LEG. The final bus will leave for Franklin Street (near the finish) 1 hour and 24 minutes after the last person crosses the starting mats (approximately 8:10 am) This allows first and second leg runners to run the final hundred yards and cross the finish line together.
- There will be no transportation back to the start area from the exchange point.
- First leg runners should alert their partner regarding the color of their shirt, their approximate pace and their bib number so that second leg runners know what to look for and when to expect them. There will also be a volunteer at the exchange calling out numbers to alert the second runner when the first runner is arriving.
- PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING ON THE BUS – YOU CAN CHECK A BAG AT THE START IF YOU NEED TO.
- All finishers may Metro back to the start or arrange for their own transportation back. Grosvenor Metro is 500 yards up the Rockville Pike.